Richard Saxon CBE
Non Executive Director
Richard joined the BLP Board in 2013 having been a firm supporter of BLP Insurance over recent years, helping to develop Butterfly, the operational and embodied carbon modeling tool. Richard brings with him a wealth of commercial knowledge of the construction and architecture sectors and will help to drive future product development and assist with the formulation of BLP Insurance strategy.
In 2001, Richard was awarded a CBE for services to architecture and construction in recognition of his work for the modernisation of the industry. Richard is former chairman of one of the UK’s largest firm of architects, designers and engineers, BDP, is a RIBA Client Adviser, and has been a member of the government’s Low Carbon Construction Innovation and Growth Team and their BIM Steering Group.
- 2013 Appointed to the BLP Board
- 2012-13 Member of the Government BIM Steering Group; role as BIM Ambassador for Growth; author of Growth through BIM (CIC publications).
- 2010 Member of the government Low Carbon Construction Innovation and Growth Team (IGT
- 2007-12 Member of the Independent Dispute Avoidance Panel for London 2012.
- 2006-10 Member of the Research Reference Group of the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).
- 2006-14 Executive Board member of the Construction Industry Council and champion for research, innovation and knowledge.
- 2005- Principal, Consultancy for the Built Environment, a client adviser and professional practice consultant; accredited RIBA Client Adviser; clients include Hoares Bank, London Borough of Bexley, Big Lottery Co, Office of Government Commerce, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), EC Harris LLP, Aaron Evans Architects, Gleeds, Laing O'Rourke, BDP, Cartwright Pickard Architects, RIBA. Willmott Dixon Construction; MAW Properties
- 2004-14 Member, University of Cambridge Building Committee.
- 2004- Chairman, City Architecture Forum.
- 2002-8 Vice President, Royal Institute of British Architects; chairman of the Practice Committee; Member of the Professional Services Board 2002-8, chairman 2007-8. Member RIBA Holdings Board 2007-8.
- 1999-2005 Chairman of the Reading Construction Forum (RCF), a cross-industry reform body convened in 1995 by Sir Nigel Mobbs to respond to the Latham Review of construction. It merged in 2002 with the Design Build Foundation (DBF) to form ‘Be, Collaborating for the Built Environment’, also chaired by Richard. His report, ‘Be Valuable, a guide to creating value in the built environment’, was published in 2005 by Constructing Excellence, with who Be merged that year.
- 1990- Founder, now life member of the British Council for Offices, the cross-industry society for the study and improvement of the workplace; sixth President 1995-6.
- 1977-2005 Partner, later director, of BDP (Building Design Partnership) the international multi-discipline practice responsible for 2% of the UK’s new commercial and public buildings; Chairman 1996-2002; Award winning work includes the master-plan for the All England Tennis Club, Wimbledon, 1992-3, completed in 2012 for the Olympics; Adam Opel HQ, Russelsheim, Germany, 1997; J P Morgan HQ, London, 1991; Milburngate Centre, Durham, 1978; Halifax Building Society HQ, Halifax,1974 (listed Grade II 2013).
- Marketing and Communications in professional services; office building design; atrium building design (author of two books); USA-UK comparative studies.