- BLP now offers latent defects insurance in the Republic of Ireland
- 'Quality homes must be at the forefront of the government's housing plans' - Planning & Building Control Today
- 'Millions put off moving home in the UK because of Brexit, poll shows' - Property Wire
- House hunters get Brexit jitters
- 'The role of sensors and data in the built environment' (White Paper)
- 'Structural defects can leave homeowners without insurance out of pocket' - PBC Today
- 'Drivers for sustainability in construction & the urban environment' (White Paper)
- 'UK housebuilding remains buoyant but...' - Builder & Engineer
- 'The burning platform for construction' (White Paper)
- 'The fourth industrial revolution and the built environment' (White Paper)
Low carbon design and decision tool - giving you control of green design.
In response to the government’s agenda for sustainable design – in particular the TSB call for design and decision tools for low carbon construction – BLP has created project ‘Butterfly’. BLP is collaborating with Willmott Dixon, UCL Energy Institute and University of Cambridge Centre for Sustainable Development to create this IT aid to calculate life cycle cost and the environmental impact of the design and components for both new build and refurbished residential buildings.
Butterfly will help to simplify the approach to two of the key issues facing our industry, reducing carbon and energy use and the drive towards Building Information Modelling, both of which are key Government targets. Butterfly will:
- provide detailed performance data on a building design in its very early stages
- link early stage (CAD) feasibility design with data and measures of life cycle and environmental performance
- provide outputs showing how the design will perform in terms of life cycle cost and maintenance, operational energy and embodied carbon cost measured against industry targets
- be enabled through access to data provided independently and transparently by BLP, and built up over the course of 30 years of research into the components’ and materials’ performance
- save time, money and waste for the builder and will give the developer and consumer an audited design with measurable sustainability claims
If you would like to be kept informed of Butterfly's progress please submit your details using the form below.