Roundtable: How can off-site construction drive up standards in the industry?
- Location: Palace of Westminster, London
- Date: 01/05/2019
- Time: 12:30 - 15:00
Samantha Ferneley, BLP's Business Development Executive, will be attending this roundtable discussion which is designed to engage with policy makers and industry stakeholders who have a vested interest in working with the BBA to examine how as an industry we can promote offsite construction and encourage the Government to give more focus and prominence to this.
Shadow Housing spokesman Lord Kennedy of Southwark will chair the meeting and Policy Connect will provide minutes of the event.
The House of Lord's Science and Technology Committee published a report that we will be looking to discuss on Modern Methods of Construction. Modernising construction methods has many potential benefits including higher quality and quicker build times, but at the cost of huge upfront capital expenditure on the manufacturing facility. At this roundtable we will be looking to discuss:
- How can off-site construction construct more high quality and more sustainable buildings? (higher energy efficiency, fire safety etc)
- How can off-site deliver house more quickly to alleviate the housing crisis?
- How can off-site solve the skills shortage in the industry and increase productivity? (less workers needed for assembly on site)
- What regulations are in place to encourage certification in off-site construction?
- What level of uptake does off-site have, and how can the government do to promote growth in the industry?
This is an invitation only event.