2019 Housing Conference
- Location: Ipswich
- Date: 11/07/2019
- Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Quality, quantity or affordability? How do we deliver the sustainable homes we need?
"We have a collective ambition to deliver 140,000 new homes across Norfolk and Suffolk by 2036. But we must build the right kind of housing where it is needed and build communities and places where people want to live. In doing so, it is becoming increasingly important we must also focus on delivering clean growth, ensuring the new homes we build are environmentally and economically sustainable.
"We believe now is the time to re-focus our collective thoughts around the housing agenda and as such we have developed this conference in association with the Housing and Finance Institute and the Suffolk Growth Programme Board. The organisations have worked together to identify three key themes that we believe together define the current housing challenge we face:
- Quality: how do the public and private sector work together to ensure new homes and places are well-designed and support wider clean growth objectives and improvements to quality of life?
- Quantity: do we have the skills, trades and resources to deliver 140,000 new homes across Norfolk and Suffolk by 2036?
- Affordability: how can we attract a greater level of investment to address issues of affordability and the delivery of much needed infrastructure?
"Working across the public and private sectors we can explore innovative approaches to each of these challenges to ensure we have the right skills to deliver the high-quality sustainable homes we need, in the right place and at an affordable cost. In working together we can build the sustainable communities our people want to live in and ensure Norfolk and Suffolk continue to thrive in the future."
Doug Field, Chair, New Anglia LEP.
9.30 Registration and coffee
10.00 Welcome from the New Anglia LEP Doug Field, New Anglia LEP
10.10 Keynote address Tony Pidgley, Berkeley Homes
10.40 Building skills - Skills panel chaired by Saul Humphrey
- Saul Humphrey, Building Growth Group
- Sarah Beale, CITB
- Tom Oliver, Ilke Homes
- Nikos Savvas, West Suffolk College
11.45 Embedding quality – the developer’s view. Developers panel chaired by Wayne Hemmingway and Chris Lamb
- Wayne Hemingway, Hemingway Design
- Chris Lamb, Design South East
- Mark Chapman, Taylor Wimpey
- Andrew Dobson, Crest Nicholson
- Ed Gilder, Badger Building
- Stuart McAdam, Persimmon Homes
- Will Vote, Rose Builders
12.45 Lunch and networking
13.45 Strategic context and key housing issues - Natalie Elphicke, HFI
14.15 Attracting investment: how partnership working can boost housing and infrastructure delivery - Investment panel chaired by Pete Gladwell
- Pete Gladwell, Legal & General
- Richard Bacon, MP for South Norfolk
- Ben Denton, Legal & General
- Natalie Elphicke, HFI
- Paul Kitson, Homes England
15.15 Output summary and ‘call to action’ - Chris Starkie, New Anglia LEP
15.30 Conference close